In this course, we will use a free statistical software called Epi Info as a tool to generate a variety of statistics that assist us in data analysis.You can either download Epi info on your own computer if you are a PC user by following Step 1 below, or you can remotely access Epi Info (on a university server) by following Step 1A below if you are a Mac user since a MAC version of Epi Info is NOT yet available.
- Epi Info 7.2 Download For Mac Pro
- Download Epi Info
- Epi Info 7 Free Download
- Epi Info 3.5.1 Free Download
Download Epi Info - Conduct professional public health-related surveys and analyze data in a very time-efficient manner with the help of this comprehensive and useful application.
Step 1. Download Epi Info (only applies for PC, not Mac)
- First go to the website https://www.cdc.gov/epiinfo/support/downloads.html
- Under Download Version 7.2, click on ' Download ZIP File'. See arrow below.
- This will take you to the screen asking you to save the 'Epi_Info_7.zip'. Go ahead and click on 'save file'.
- Go to where you have saved/downloaded the zip file (usually by default, it is the 'download' folder under 'This PC'), open the Zip File, click on 'Launch Epi Info 7'.
- This will take you to the screen asking you to 'Extract all', 'Run' or 'Cancel'; click on 'Extract all'.
- Click on 'Extract' again. It will take a couple of seconds for the extraction process to complete. The screen will go back to the screen with the Epi Info 7 folder. (The icon of 'Launch Epi Info 7' looks a little different now)
- The installation should have completed. Click on 'Launch Epi Info 7' to start using it! It should look like below.
Step 1A. Access Epi Info and EXCEL (on a university server) remotely
You can access Epi Info and EXCEL installed on a university server remotely from anywhere as long as you have internet access. To do so, following the instructions here:
- Go to https://citrix.illinoisstate.edu and sign in with your ULID and password. This will bring you to the following screen. Click on 'Use Light Version' as arrow indicates.
- Then select ' DESKTOPS' icon from the top menu
- Then click on the SFCM 174 lab icon, log in as needed with your ULID and password, and click on launch Epi Info.exe as arrow indicates.
Epi Info 7.2 Download For Mac Pro
Step 2. Downloading Datasets and Getting Started
i. Downloading Datasets
- To download the example dataset SSI (a dataset containing information on surgical site infections in a hospital) used in tutoring videos, right click here and use the 'save link as' command to save it to a folder that you have access to. For datasets used in homework assignments, you can find them under ReggieNet - 'Assignments' and under a specific homework assignment number. You need to save these datasets to a folder that you have access to.
- If you access Epi Info remotely (i.e. via SFCM174), you may do all your work via SFCM174. Note, when downloading a file on SFCM174, the default folder where downloaded files saved is 'This PC' - 'Downloads' folder.
ii. Opening Epi Info
- Open Epi Info - if you access Epi Info remotely, click on the desktop icon 'Launch Epi Info.exe' to start using it!
iii. Read a Dataset to be Analyzed - 1st step of all
The following video shows you how to read a dataset in Epi Info. I have also included the written instruction below for your reference.